GGNP Endangered Species Big Year
The 2012 Golden Gate National Parks Endangered Species Big Year has concluded, and we have a winner! Erica Ely completed the most recovery actions and observed the most species in the park of all our competitors. She’s earned a $100 gift certificate to the Sports Basement for her efforts—Congratulations Erica!!
Keep an eye out for special training trips during 2013, and of course a full Big Year competition in 2014. Thanks to everyone who made the program a success.
The GGNP Endangered Species Big Year is a race against time to see—and save—the Park’s endangered species.
Artist: Liam O’Brien
The Golden Gate National Parks Endangered Species Big Year is a race against time to observe each of the 36 endangered and threatened species found within the Golden Gate National Parks, while taking 36 discrete conservation recovery actions that will prevent these species from going extinct. It is a competitive event: the person who sees and helps the most species between January 1, 2012, and December 31, 2012, will win the Big Year.
The GGNP Endangered Species Big Year will enable you to explore the diverse habitats of the GGNP while helping each of the 36 endangered and threatened species that call the Park home. In the process, we hope you will discover the humility, compassion, and hope embodied in the legal protections for this land and our imperiled neighbors.
Here is how the GGNP Endangered Species Big Year works:
- Sign-up for the 2012 Golden Gate National Parks Endangered Species Big Year. Signing up is a two-step process: first join the Wild Equity Institute’s on-line community to become a registered user of this website. An e-mail will be automatically sent to your e-mail account confirming your registration and giving you instructions for the next step. Second, click on the link in the e-mail automatically sent to you, and on the page where you land fill-out the form to become an official registrant in the Big Year Competition. If you have problems, e-mail us and we’ll help you out!
- Review and download your checklist of the 36 listed species found in the GGNP and the 36 conservation action items you can take to help these species recover.
- Check-out the calendar of GGNP Endangered Species Big Year events for special trips to observe endangered species and opportunities to help them recover, and sign-up for some trips. Or explore the park on your own.
- Enter all of your sightings on the Big Year web site.
- Build a conservation community by using the tools on the Wild Equity Institute’s website to communicate with other competitors. You can opt into forum discussions when you signup for the Big Year competition, but if you want to be added or dropped later, just e-mail us and we’ll help you out!